The San Francisco Association of REALTORS® (formerly
the San Francisco Real Estate Board) was founded as a nonprofit
association on February 6, 1905, when 33 of San Francisco's
leading real estate agents adopted a constitution and bylaws.
The Association antedates both the National Association of
REALTORS® (formerly the National Association of Real Estate
Boards) and the California Association of REALTORS® (formerly
the California Real Estate Association). It was active in
the formation of both of these organizations.
Prior to the organization of the Association, chaotic conditions
existed in the real estate business in San Francisco, reflecting
similar conditions elsewhere. In order to deal more effectively
with such problems, responsible traders of real estate in
San Francisco established rules of conduct governing relations
between brokers and the public. Later, the California Real
Estate Act was enacted, while, on the national level, the
National Association developed a Code of Ethics governing
relations among brokers throughout the country.
With the passage of time, new conditions brought about the
need for a change in the Association's organization. On July
29, 1949, 44 years after its establishment, the San Francisco
Association of REALTORS® was incorporated as a nonprofit
corporation under the laws of the State of California. The
corporation continues to be known as the San Francisco Real
Estate Board, although it adopted the dba San Francisco Association
of REALTORS® in 1994. Throughout its 103-year existence,
the Association has enjoyed a distinguished history of accomplishment.
Today, representing more than 5,000 real estate professionals
in the San Francisco area, the Association welcomes the opportunity
to provide continued service to its members, the community
and the public at large.